Site Reliability Engineer
- Mobile: +44 (0)7867 977184
- Email: email@example.com
- Url: http://adamstrawson.com
The Student Room Group.
Site Reliability Engineer
June 2015 - Current
- Manage, maintain and provide training and support for development tools and systems.
- Take responsibility for the reliability, efficiency and performance of the services
- Review and influence architecture, standards, and methods for operating services and systems
- Participate in platform performance analysis, software optimisation and tuning, service capacity planning and demand forecasting.
- Develop effective relationships and work alongside our partners to ensure a high level of service is maintained.
- Participate in out-of-hours support alongside our hosting partner.
As an addition;
- Provide technical support for the internal IT Infrastructure.
- Ensure the internal network, telephony, desktop and servers are running efficiently at all times.
- Work with suppliers, vendors and the IT manager/COO on IT purchasing and project planning for all IT related support systems.
- To work closely with the IT manager and Finance department to monitor spend on internal IT services and ensure that the most cost effective and quality IT assets and services are sourced.
- Work with other technical support staff to maintain excellent levels of customer service for all company employees and customers.
The Student Room Group.
May 2013 - June 2015
I work within the production team as a full stack developer, building and improving upon existing features across The Student Room Groups three sites, as well as our internal platforms that drive critical business decisions, the development tools that the team relies on using VMware, puppet and introducing continuous integration tools.
I also work alongside our infrastructure partner in Canada with making sure the hardware and services that our group sites run on are performing at their best.
On top of my role I also manage the Technical Support for the company, including the daily running of the technical requirements within the office, from hardware requests to the general upkeep of the office infrastructure and networks.
September 2011 - May 2013
I was the lead DevOps at Create. I worked alongside the development team, building and managing the development tools, including Continuous Integration systems, and automated/manual testing environments.
Within the DevOps role, I maintained the infrastructure for our service, looking at the prevention of potential bottlenecks, working on scalability plans, maintaining the dedicated hardware in our colo data centre, and as well as participate with the on-call schedules.
Along side the operations tasks I worked with the development team to improve the platform and build new features for our users, written in PHP on a custom framework, and working with various APIs, most importantly Facebook’s, with which the ‘Facebook Shop’ feature was built to allow Creates users to both display and buy products within their own business Facebook page.
June 2010 - September 2011
As a developer at Zopa, my tasks included working with marketing to create pages based on their briefs to increase conversions, and improve the users experiences through the website, as well as general improvements to the application.
I picked up the basics of ASP.NET MVC, Continuous Integration through TeamCity, and Windows Server and Linux environments.
Full Stack Developer
March 2009 - April 2010
August 2008 - March 2009
Butlins, Technical Stage Manager
November 2005 - August 2008
Stage Support Services, Lighting Designer/Rigger
RoastHunter is a website listing locations near you where you can find a good roast. RoastHunter is built using CodeIgniter, the Google Maps API and a sub-site using Wordpress. I am also developing an iPhone application for RoastHunter built in Titanium, and using the API framework Slim http://slimframework.com to pull data from the MySQL database for the iPhone application.
Billr is an interface add-on to http://freeagentcentral.com. Billr allows clients to view and manage the invoices that are generated within FreeAgent, and allow clients to pay the invoices. Billr is built using the FreeAgent API.
Continious Deployment and DevOps: A Quick Start Guide.
As a technical reviewer for this publication, I was required to review the book for technical inacuracies and general readability to the target audience. Due to be publised late November 2014
- Python (Basics)
- MySQL & NoSQL
- Shell Scripting (Bash)
- Windows Server
- OS X Server
- Linux (Debian/Ubuntu)
- Configuration Managment (Puppet)
- Cisco Switches and Firewalls
- Datacenter ‘rack and stack’
- Capactity Planning
Software / Packages
- Amazon Web Services (EC2, S3)
- RackSpace (Cloud Servers, Load Balancers, Cloud Files (API))
- Version Control (Git & Subversion)
- CI tools such as Atlassian Bamboo, Jenkins, Travis CI